Alternatives Federal Credit Union is a regional credit union. We offer a full range of banking services to anyone who lives or works in Ithaca, Tompkins County, or the adjacent counties (Cayuga, Chemung, Cortland, Seneca, Schuyler and Tioga).
Becoming a member of Alternatives is making a choice for a more economically just community. Joining is easy. A one time $20 membership fee and a minimum $5 deposit in Savings makes you a member of the Alternatives Fund, our "field of membership," and Alternatives.
The $5 "share" makes you not only a member, but an owner of Alternatives. As an owner, you may use the Credit Union for its services, or get more involved by voting for your Board of Directors, joining a Board committee, or even running for the Board of Directors.
We welcome you to the Credit Union, and hope that we are able to serve your needs well in person, by mail, or on the Web. Please let us know if there are ways we can better serve your needs by sending us a message.
Alternatives is a combination of a traditional member-driven credit union and a not-for-profit community development organization.
Verification of Identity
- Date of birth
- Physical address at which the person resides and mailing address if different
- An unexpired, government issued photo ID
- For US persons, a taxpayer identification number such as social security number, individual taxpayer identification number or employer identification number for business accounts.
- For non-US persons, one or more of the following: a US taxpayer identification number, passport number and country of issuance; alien identification card number; or number and country of issuance of any other government-issued document evidencing nationality or residence and bearing a photograph or similar safeguard.
In order to verify the identity of the applicant, at least one document provided should be an unexpired government issued photo identification card (driver’s license or military ID). Any other documentation gathered from the applicant to verify the required information is flexible and can include social security cards, certified birth certificates, utility bills, phone bills, pay stubs, etc.
Alternatives acknowledges that some applicants will not have an unexpired government issued photo ID card. In those instances:
- The applicant may provide another form of ID in conjunction with a government issued document showing the member’s social security number or tax identification number. If the applicant is a non-U.S. person, passports, immigration documents, unexpired employment authorization documents are acceptable.
- If the applicant does not have any form of photo ID, he/she may present two forms of identification. One must be government issued (social security card, passport, immigration documents, etc).
- If the applicant cannot provide the information required, the account will not be opened.
Rates & Terms
Here are the current rates and terms.
Our social mission is integrated into our economic mission. We have designed our deposit accounts to meet the financial needs of the members of this community, including members with a lower income.
Our savings accounts have no monthly service charges or transaction fees, and only a $5 minimum balance requirement.
We offer a checking (share draft) account with no balance requirements, and no per check fees! All you pay is the cost of printing the checks.
Certificates can be started with as little as $100, and offer competitive dividend rates.