AFCU participation in the 2021 filing season has ended. Thank you to all of our volunteers who supported the community through this program.
You can still file your taxes online through the following resource:
Please note: With this Do-It-Yourself Software, our tax preparers will not be reviewing your tax filing prior to submission.
To file your taxes on your own:
- Visit the following website: https://myfreetaxes.com/
- Select "By Myself," then follow the instructions to file your taxes on your own.
Am I Eligible?
Eligibility is determined by household income. If your household made less than $58,000 in 2021, you are eligible for the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
This service cannot be used to prepare returns that include:
- Self-employment that includes business net loss, inventory, depreciation, employees, or contract labor
- Business partnership (Sch. K)
- Farm income
- Household employment (Sch. H)
- Filed for bankruptcy in 2021
- Foreign tax credits
- Adoption credits
- Non-resident alien (1040 NR)
- Transactions using virtual currency
Do I have to be a member of Alternatives Federal Credit Union?
No, all who meet eligibility requirements are welcome to use this free service! This program is funded by grants and community donations, which keeps it free for you.
Do we have a record of your tax return?
Tax preparation sites are required by IRS VITA policy to remove digital tax records at the end of the season. All clients who sign returns in person received copies of their returns when they show up in person. Clients who signed their returns electronically received access to digital copies of their returns. If clients need tax returns from prior year returns, they can always request tax transcripts from the IRS for free.
Where is my tax refund?
For any other questions or inquiries, please contact our Community Tax Program Director at: [email protected] or 607-216-3459