Make a plan for your 2023 tax filing
*Income restrictions apply
When is the federal tax filing deadline?
The deadline for federal tax returns and payments is Tuesday April 18, 2023.
Important 2023 tax dates
The IRS has set the following deadlines for the upcoming tax season:
- January 2023 – IRS begins accepting turns
- February 15, 2023 – Fourth quarter estimated payments due for tax year 2022
- February 1, 2023 – Employers must mail W-2 forms
- April 18, 2023 – Tax Day/federal returns and payments due, final day to file an extension
- October 26, 2023- Late filing deadline
After filing, you can track the status of your refundon the IRS website. You’ll need to input the exact refund amount, to the dollar, that’s listed on your tax return, as well as your Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number and filing status.
One of these may be a good option for you if you have access to transportation, prefer in person service, live or work near a preparation site and earn $60,000 or less annually
Lifelong Free Tax Prep (VITA/TCE)
- To make an appointment, call (607) 216-7862
- The tax appointment line opens January 9th for tax payers at least 60 years old or who had a return prepared by Lifelong last year
- Other tax payers will be able to make appointments beginning March 1st
- Appointments will be available from February 4th through April 14th at Lifelong and in Trumansburg and Dryden
- Learn more at tclifelong.org/counseling-volunteer-services
Cortland Free Taxes (VITA/TCE)
- Cortland, NY- Several locations
- To make an appointment call 2-1-1or (877) 211- 8667
- Learn more at cortlandfreetaxes.org
- Contact via email [email protected]
Returns are prepared by local volunteers as part of the IRS volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs
Before your visit
Before going to a VITA or TCE site, see IRS VITA/TCE info sheet for services provided and check out What to Bring to ensure you have all the required documents and information the volunteers will need to help you.
Note: Available services can vary at each site due to the availability of volunteers certified with the tax law expertise required for your return. Call 2-1-1 for additional information.
Contact free and Self File Options
One of these may be a good option for you if you have internet access, file a basic return, feel comfortable filing out the forms and filing your own return.
|Options||Contact Free||File Myself||File Myself|
Get Your Refund
File for one or multiple years with an IRS-certified tax preparer.
File quickly on your own to collect your Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), stimulus payments and Child Tax Credit.
My Free Taxes
File quickly on your own for 2022.
Under $12,550 (under $25,100 filing jointly)
There are no eligibility requirements for free filing if you are filing on your own. To be eligible to file your taxes for free with help virtually or in- person help, you will need to need to meet following criteria:
|Length of time to file IRS payment processing times vary 3-6 weeks||2-3 weeks||15 minutes||45 minutes|
|Social Security Card or ITIN paperwork||Photo ID||ID numbers||ID numbers|
|Official tax documents (w2's, 1099's, etc)||Required||Not required, but may help you claim more benefits||Required|
|Credits and Payments|
|Child tax credit||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Earned income tax credit||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Additonal state tax credits||Yes||Yes||Yes|
ITIN application assistance
|IRS certified VITA tax team||Yes||No||Yes|
After filing, you can track the status of your refund on the IRS website. You’ll need to input the exact refund amount, to the dollar, that’s listed on your tax return, as well as your Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number and filing status.