Stay Safe from Scams: Tips for Keeping Your Information Secure
You may have heard news of an ongoing scam affecting some local financial institutions. Although Alternatives Federal Credit Union was NOT directly affected by this scam, now is a good time to review some basic security practices to help protect you from fraud and identity theft.
First and foremost, Alternatives FCU will NEVER contact you by email, phone, or text message to ask you for your account number or other account information. There is no reason for us to verify this information in this manner, as we already have all of the information. It is important that you never respond to phone calls, text messages, or emails that ask you to provide, validate, or update any account information.
A great way to keep yourself safe is to keep an eye on your accounts. Monitor your active accounts with your existing financial institutions for any signs of fraudulent activity, such as new loans or transactions you do not recognize. At Alternatives FCU, you can use our Mobility Products and Services to keep a close eye on all your account activity, 24/7. If you do receive any types of these requests, please contact us immediately at 877-273-AFCU during business hours. Be safe.
- Larry Honigbaum, Chief Technology Officer
Here are some additional ways to keep safe:
- Review your credit report annually, at no cost, and without impact to your credit score. Order your annual credit report.
- Educate yourself about current threats to consumers. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) provides helpful information. Visit the FTC website.
- Practice good online habits by learning good password hygiene, how to verify websites, and how to ensure secure connections while using websites.
- Stay aware! Scammers often use breaking news stories, such as massive data breaches or natural disasters, as opportunities to scam individuals. Verify phone calls, do not give out personal or financial information and watch out for phishing emails.